Legal entities registered in the Republic of Uzbekistan, as well as individuals who have a permanent place of residence in the territory of the Republic of Uzbekistan and are registered as individual entrepreneurs, have the right to engage in foreign economic activity. State bodies of the Republic of Uzbekistan may carry out foreign economic activity, unless otherwise established by law. Companies or individuals are allowed to conduct trade with foreign enterprises directly or through foreign trade agents.
The following documents are subject to examination by the Center for Comprehensive Expert Examination of Projects and Import Contracts under the Ministry of Investments, Industry and Trade:
- drafts of contracts, import contracts and additional agreements to them, concluded on the basis of decrees and resolutions of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, as well as resolutions of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan, which allow public procurement of goods (works, services) on the basis of a direct contract with a total value exceeding twenty five thousand times (for budgetary customers - six thousand times) the amount of the basic calculation unit(1 BCU = 330,000 soum or $27.35 as of August 2023) under one contract, except for cases established by law;
- drafts of import contracts and additional agreements to them worth the equivalent of $1 million or more, concluded without conducting a comprehensive examination of their tender documentation at the Center, as part of the implementation of projects financed from public external debt (with the exception of loans from international financial institutions and foreign government financial institutions).
An importer must prepare and provide to the customs authorities the following documents:
- Cargo customs declaration, except for cases of declaring goods by filling out a passenger customs declaration in the manner prescribed by law
- Shipping documents except packing list
- Certificate of origin of goods (at the request of the concerned party and in cases where required by international treaties of the Republic of Uzbekistan)Phyto-sanitary and veterinary certificates (as applicable)
- Certificates of conformity (as applicable)License (as applicable).