HOW MUCH TIME WILL I HAVE TO COMMIT TO SGWIT?
Participants in the group mentoring option can connect with one another on an as needed basis over the year-long program.
Participants in the one-on-one match program should aim to hold at least 6 meetings over 12 months.
Throughout the duration of the cohort, SelectUSA will also host virtual events to share information and create space for connection between Mentorship Network participants.
Both mentors and mentees will benefit from the mentoring relationships as they build new skills, make new contacts, ignite new ideas, achieve their goals, and reinvigorate their own work.
SHOULD I APPLY TO BE A SGWIT MENTEE?
To participate in the SGWIT Mentorship network, interested women entrepreneurs must be approved to attend the 2024 Investment Summit as a SelectUSA Tech startup.
SGWIT applicants identify as women and participate in the program as representatives of foreign-based tech startups with plans for U.S. expansion.
Eligible startups must be:
- Headquartered outside the United States, and
- Developing innovative technology products/services, and
- Looking to the United States market for expansion within the next 2-3 years, and
Additionally, startups must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- 0-10 years old
- 0-40 employees
- $0-10M in annual revenue
SGWIT mentee candidates can indicate their interest in the SGWIT Mentorship Network on their 2024 Investment Summit application. The application will include additional details about the one-on-one mentorship opportunity, including recommendations about the job roles and company stages that may benefit from this limited offering.
Mentees will receive direct communication from the SGWIT Team with the next steps for the program. Applications for mentees will be considered until Friday, May 17, 2024. After that time, we cannot guarantee a spot in the 2024 cohort of the Mentorship Network.
SHOULD I APPLY TO BE A MENTOR?
SGWIT mentors are U.S.-based successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives, venture capitalists, angel investors, and attorneys interested in supporting international women entrepreneurs in tech in their efforts to achieve their U.S. expansion goals.
Mentors will be selected from across the U.S. startup ecosystem based on their interest in supporting women-run businesses and their expertise in supporting tech startups on their U.S. investment and expansion journeys. Prospective mentors will be evaluated based on their:
- Industry Knowledge
- Areas of Specialty
- International Expansion Skills/Experience
- Entrepreneurship Skills/Experience
- Womens’ Empowerment Experience/Interest
U.S. and Foreign Government employees and Economic Development Organization officials may not serve as mentors but may support the network via educational content contributions or events.
Advantages to Mentoring
- Make a meaningful impact on women looking to bring their business to the United States.
- Join a supportive community of passionate, devoted mentors and ambitious women entrepreneurs working on expanding their business into the United States.
- Strengthen your organization’s reach in key markets or extend your reach to new global markets by connecting with the Foreign Commercial Service and contributing to worldwide in-market events.
- Raise your organization’s profile among a global network of tech startups, economic development organizations, public sector officials, and others in the tech and startup ecosystem.
- Access to:
- Numerous networking opportunities
- SelectUSA’s diverse programming, including virtual events and the annual SelectUSA Investment Summit
- Consideration for speaking opportunities with SelectUSA
- Option to submit your organization’s profile for the SelectUSA Service Provider and U.S. Startup Ecosystem Directory
Interested mentors can apply until May 17, 2024, at 11:59pm EDT. All mentors will be vetted by SelectUSA before being confirmed. Accepted mentors will be notified by early June.