Poland - Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services
Last published date: 2019-10-13

Following EU laws, Poland recognizes professional service providers who have already been recognized in the EU. For individuals who would like to practice their profession in Poland, the first step is to get a work permit. Their employers apply for the work permit to the provincial authorities in Poland. In the case of professional services, where advanced qualifications are required, i.e. architects, lawyers, medical professions, the specialists coming from abroad can only perform their services as employees of individuals who have the required license. 

The recognition of skills and qualifications acquired by EU citizens in EU Member States, including the corresponding recognition procedures and charges are, in accordance with article 165 of the TFEU, the responsibility of Member States.  Similarly, recognition of skills and qualifications earned in third countries is also a national responsibility. 
However, the European Commission takes initiatives to facilitate recognition procedures. For example:
Recognition of  professional qualifications obtained in one Member State for the purposes of access and pursuit of regulated professions  in another Member State is subject to Directive 2005/36.

Recognition of qualifications for academic purposes in the higher education sector , including graduation certificates is subject to the Lisbon Recognition Convention. The ENIC-NARIC network provides advice on (cross-border) recognition of these qualifications. 

Recognition in other cases is assessed and granted (or denied) by the receiving educational provider or employer. For them to be able to recognize skills and qualifications an understanding of the level, content and quality of the education is needed. The Commission currently explores the possibilities on how to better support these recognition decisions.
The “Your Europe”“ website maintains a webpage dedicated to helping citizens identify what the regulated professions are and what documents are needed for their recognition in each Member State.