Turkmenistan - Country Commercial Guide
Prohibited and Restricted Imports
Last published date:

Presidential resolution # 1987 (1994) outlines two separate sets of goods where imports or exports must be licensed by the president and the Cabinet of Ministers. Import or export of the following goods requires presidential approval:

Arms and military equipment and special items used for military production and military services,
Gunpowder, explosive substances, explosive and pyrotechnic devices,
Radioactive materials, technology, equipment and installations, special non-nuclear materials and radioactive waste,
Precious metals and alloys, ores, scrap material and industrial waste (for export only),
Precious stones and items including industrial waste, powder, recuperation of precious stones, pearls and amber,
Narcotics and psychotropic substances,
Special raw materials, equipment, technology and scientific information used for arms and military equipment production,
Dual-use materials, equipment and technology, that may be used for production of nuclear, chemical and other weapons of mass destruction,
Export of scientific research, technology and inventions, and Poisons (except those included in the list below).

The Cabinet of Ministers tightly controls licenses to export or import the following goods:

Industrial waste,
Turkmen national jewelry,
Culturally valuable goods,
Antique printed products and manuscripts,
Archaeological artifacts,
Art pieces,
Collections of materials on mineralogy and biology,
Central Asian sheep-dogs (Alabay),
Ahal Teke horses,
Pedigree cattle,
Wild animals,
Wild plants, bones of fossil animals, ivory, horns, hoofs, corals and other such materials,
Information about energy resources and minerals of regions and fields located in Turkmenistan and within the continental shelf, offshore zones.

Export of documents related to accounting, human resources and other internal details of private businesses registered in Turkmenistan,
Import of cattle, sheep, goats, camels and swine requires a permit from the Cabinet of Ministers, and Import of religious literature may require permission of State Commission on Religious Organizations and Expert Evaluation of Religious Information Resources (SCROEERIR)