Overview of best prospect sectors, major infrastructure projects, significant government procurements and business opportunities.
- The hydrocarbon sector is the country’s largest industry. Turkmenistan strives to maximize value for its oil and gas reserves and invests in petroleum refining and processing facilities. It has several liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) plants and plans to build more.
- The government has plans to attract foreign technology and investment to the chemical and petrochemical industries.
- Turkmenistan wants to make the transition to a digital economy, which may present opportunities for foreign companies with expertise in digital technologies.
- Opportunities exist for gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology providers, as Turkmenistan recently built a major GTL plant and plans to develop this sector.
- With development of new gas and oil fields and the rehabilitation of existing fields, there is a need for new pipeline networks and related infrastructure, such as compressor stations.
- The government has ambitious plans to build new transportation infrastructure.
- Turkmenistan continues to invest in development of the Caspian Sea resort of Awaza, which may present opportunities for foreign investment in Turkmenistan’s nascent tourism industry. More generally, historic sites associated with the ancient Silk Road represent untapped potential for small adventure tour operators.