Mexico - Country Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services

Includes license requirements for key professional services that are open to U.S. service providers.

Last published date: 2022-09-23

U.S. professional licenses are not generally recognized in Mexico (e.g., engineer, architect, and lawyer). One must become accredited in Mexico or have a Mexican counterpart co-sign or validate the U.S. work. For example, a U.S. architect may draw up plans for a building, but they must also get a “Stamp of Approval” from a licensed Mexican architect. A list of local professional associations can be found in the Principal Business Associations section of this guide. A guide to registering for your professional degree in Mexico (information is in Spanish) can be found on the Secretariat of Education’s (Secretaría de Educación Pública or SEP) website.

For additional information, please contact your nearest U.S. Export Assistance Center or the U.S. Commercial Service in Mexico.