Includes license requirements for key professional services that are open to U.S. service providers.
The recognition of skills and qualifications acquired by EU citizens in EU Member States, including the corresponding recognition procedures and charges are, in correspondence with article 165 of the TFEU, the responsibility of Member States. Similarly, recognition of skills and qualification earned in third countries is also a national responsibility.
However, the European Commission takes initiative to facilitate recognition procedures. For example:
- Recognition of professional qualifications obtained in one Member State for the purposes of access and pursuit of regulated professions in another Member State is subject to EU Directive 2005/36.
- Recognition of qualifications for academic purposes in the higher education sector, including school-leaving certificates is subject to the Lisbon Recognition Convention. The ENIC-NARIC network provides advice on (cross-border) recognition of these qualifications.
Recognition in other cases is assessed and granted (or denied) by the receiving educational provider or employer. For them to be able to recognise skills and qualifications an understanding of the level, content and quality is needed. The Commission currently explores the possibilities on how to better support these recognition decisions.
The “Your Europe” website maintains a webpage dedicated to help citizens identify what the regulated professions are and what document are needed for their recognition in each Member State. Please see: Recognition of Professional Qualification
- EU Commission Free movement of professionals: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/services/free-movement-professionals_en
The complete list of accredited regulated and non-regulated professional services in France can be found on the Website of the French federation of accredited associations:
- Union Nationale des Associations Agrées “UNASA” http://www.unasa.fr/ (non-secure)
- Liste complète des professions libérales: https://www.sinstaller-en-profession-liberale.fr/metier-liberal/mon-metier/liste-complete-des-professions-liberales
- French Government websites regulation professional services: https://www.entreprises.gouv.fr/