Côte d'Ivoire - Country Commercial Guide
Energy

This is a best prospect industry sector for this country.  Includes a market overview and trade data.

Last published date: 2021-10-11

Overview

With some of the best energy infrastructure in the region, the government is working toward making the country a West African electricity hub.  Côte d’Ivoire’s existing electricity system is the third largest in West Africa.  As of 2020, Côte d’Ivoire had installed capacity of 2,179 MW with roughly 60 percent generated by thermal and the remaining 40 percent generated by hydroelectric dams.  American companies and their reputation for quality products and services would find strong interest in exports such as smart energy monitoring devices and renewable energy related services.

Expanding the national electrification rate is a top priority.  While 92 percent of urban residents have access to electricity, progress in rural electrification lags.  The government’s goal is to reduce the gap by expanding the grid and encouraging the development of off-grid providers.  The Ivoirian government is also pursuing efforts to expand and diversify its mix of energy generation sources, framed by its goal of deriving 42 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2035.  In 2019, the government granted a French-owned firm a 25-year concession to design, build, and operate a 46MW biomass plant.

Power Africa is a market-driven, U.S. Government-led public-private partnership aiming to double access to electricity in sub-Saharan Africa. It offers tools and resources to private sector entities to facilitate doing business in sub-Saharan Africa’s power sector.  The Electrify Africa Act of 2015 is the guiding legislation behind Power Africa. Learn more about the full Power Africa toolbox or other opportunities offered by Power Africa.

American companies interested in the electricity sector should note the key actors:

  • Ministry of Mines, Petroleum, and Energy (MMPE): serves a policy, oversight, and some regulatory functions;
  • The Côte d’Ivoire Electricity Regulation Authority (ANARE-CI): regulates the country’s three independent power producers (IPPs). 
  • Côte d’Ivoire Energies (CI-ENERGIES): the state-owned entity responsible for monitoring and managing of electrical energy production.  It also manages projects for which the State is acting as the conceding authority. In 2020, the government awarded a 12-year electricity distribution concession to Compagnie Ivoirienne d’électricité (CIE).

 

2018

2019

2020

National Demand for Electricity (Gigawatt hours (GWh))

8,180

9,095

10,020

Total Export of Electricity (GWh)

1,078

1,256

1,333

Total gross national production of electricity (GWh)

9,997

10,613

11,210

Total Installed (Megawatt hours (MW))

2,199

2,249

2,249

Source: CI-Energies

CI-Energies Solar Power Projects 2020-2030 

Solar power projects Photovoltaic (PV)

Sites / locations

Power (MW)

 Projected Start of Operations

CI-ENERGIES /KfW

Boundiali

30

2020

RECA

Binguébougou

20

2021

Scaling Solar

Touba- Laboua

60

2021

Poro Power

Korogho

50

2021

Biotherm

Ferkéssédougou

20

2022

Avaada

Odienne

20

2022

To be developed

Sérébou

20

2023

Source: CI-Energies
 

 Leading Sub-Sectors

There are commercial opportunities in:

  • Process Automation and Systems Control Equipment
  • Gas-to-Power Technologies
  • Renewable Energy Solutions (Solar, biomass)
  • Demand Side Management (DSM)
  • Transmission and Distribution Equipment
  • Energy Monitoring Systems

Opportunities

The MMPE has identified the development of off-grid, solar-based solutions as one method to expand electrification, particularly in the rural areas. The government’s Electricity for All program, National Rural Electrification Program (PRONER), and donor-financed programs are vehicles for tendering opportunities.   In 2019, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) agreed to provide the government with financing to develop two public-private partnerships to generate 60 MW of solar energy.  The government issued a request for companies to apply for pre-qualification for the design, financing, construction, and operation of the solar energy plants in June 2021.   The United States Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) is funding two feasibility studies related to energy production and transmission in Côte d’Ivoire and the region.  The results of the studies should provide opportunities for American goods and services.

 Resources

  • Ministry of Mines, Petroleum, and Energy (MMPE)
  • Côte d’Ivoire Electricity Regulation Authority (ANARE-CI)
  • Côte d’Ivoire Energies (CI-Energies)
  • Compagnie Ivoirienne d’électricité (CIE)
  • Ivoirian Association of Renewable Energy (AIENR); (+225 27 2175-0880 ; +225 0707-385-807; organisation@aienr.org)