This is a best prospect industry sector for this country. Includes a market overview and trade data.
The Ivoirian government prioritizes investments in infrastructure. The consistently increasing demand for cement and construction materials indicates the sector’s dynamism. Côte d’Ivoire welcomes foreign engineering, procurement, and project management expertise. The US$524.7 million Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) Compact with Côte d’Ivoire focusing on education and transportation offers excellent opportunities for U.S. and international firms. The Compact comprises two main projects:
1. Road construction and rehabilitation, including technical assistance in road-traffic safety and maintenance management, environmental and social protection, and resettlement in greater Abidjan, and
2. Secondary education construction (including school construction in and around the cities of Bouaké and San Pedro and the building of two university satellite campuses and up to four technical vocational education centers), as well as technical assistance in teacher training reforms, education information management systems, gender policy implementation, and environmental, social and resettlement management.
MCC and its Ivoirian counterpart, the Millennium Challenge Account-Côte d’Ivoire (MCA-Côte d’Ivoire) are developing a Truck Parking and Logistics Center as a Public Private Partnership (PPP). This blended finance transaction will leverage private investment and expertise to reduce congestion in Abidjan and increase efficiency of goods moving through the Port of Abidjan, one of the largest in West Africa. MCA publishes all upcoming procurements online at: https://www.mcacotedivoire.ci/passation-des-marches/avis-general-de-passation-des-marches.html. MCC will also procure some services from independent engineers and evaluators. These opportunities can be found at https://www.mcc.gov/work-with-us/mcc-business as well as Contract Opportunities at https://sam.gov/content/home . Please consult the MCA and MCC websites regularly, as requests for proposals are posted as they are approved. For additional information regarding the Compact, please consult the MCC website.
Source: Ivoirian Ministry of Economy and Finance, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. International Trade Administration
There are sales prospects in:
- Building materials for residential housing and commercial buildings
- Water and sanitation equipment and services
- Heavy equipment for infrastructure projects
- Engineering, procurement, and construction management services
International financial institutions are financing a number of infrastructure projects for which U.S. companies can compete. Significant opportunities exist to sell construction equipment as well as provide engineering, procurement, and construction services to the National Office for Technical and Development Studies (Bureau National d’Etudes Techniques et de Développement, BNETD), the agency charged with assisting the government with the study, design, and implementation of infrastructure projects.
Similar opportunities also exist within the private sector. In its most recent 2019 report on housing, the African Development Bank (AfDB) estimates an affordable-housing gap in Côte d’Ivoire of 600,000 housing units, one-third of which is in Abidjan. Local builders’ efforts to satisfy the demand for housing generate a complementary demand for air conditioning and refrigeration systems for large-scale housing such as apartment buildings. According to the AfDB report, this gap is expected to persist and probably grow given the country’s high population growth rate of 2.6 percent per year. The government is publicly supportive of building more ecologically friendly housing and improving urban land management, which offers opportunities for American services and products
- Abidjan Infrastructure fair (SIA)
- Architects and construction professionals show (ARCHIBAT)
- Construction online press (BATIRICI)
Relevant government entities:
- Ministry of Construction, Housing, and Urbanism
- Ministry of Road Equipment and Maintenance
- National Committee for Public-Private-Partnerships
- Construction and Public Works Business Association
- National Office for Technical Studies and Development (BNETD)
- Road Management Agency