Thailand - Country Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services
Last published date:

The Thai government requires companies doing business in specific industries to obtain license certificates, including import and export businesses and those selling food and/or alcoholic beverages.  Licensing requirements vary depending on the services provided.  Foreign businesspeople in Thailand are advised to contact the Department of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, for import or export licenses for certain products and services.

Foreigners who wish to work, conduct business, or undertake investment activities in Thailand must apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa and Certificate of Entry at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General before departing for Thailand.  Various categories of the Non-Immigrant Visa are currently provided to meet the needs and qualifications of individual businesspersons.  These include business visa Category “B”, business-approved visa Category “B-A”, and investment and business visa Category “IB”.  Holders of this type of visa wishing to work in Thailand must be granted a work permit before starting work.  The visa fee is 80 USD for single-entry with three-month validity and 200 USD for multiple entries with one-year validity.  More information is available at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand website.  To work and run a business in Thailand, foreign businessmen also require obtaining a working permit license from the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor.