This is a best prospect industry sector for this country. Includes a market overview and trade data.
With 80 million hectares of arable land, 4 million hectares of irrigated land, and many rivers with important fishery resources, the DRC has the potential to become a global agricultural power. Although the agricultural sector employs over 60 percent of Congolese and comprises 19.7 percent of GDP, it fails to ensure food security and generate sufficient revenues and sustainable employment. The main cash crops include coffee, palm oil, rubber, cotton, sugar, tea, and cocoa. There has been some success developing cocoa and coffee for export. Food crops also include cassava, plantains, maize, groundnuts, and rice. Commercial agricultural production remains limited, with most producers engaged in subsistence food agriculture. To cope with the food shortage, the GDRC is supporting the creation of agro-industrial parks in different areas of the DRC.
- Crop planting
- Fishery, land, and wildlife conservation
- Fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides
- Farm equipment leasing and financing
- Agricultural industrial park
- To develop the agricultural sector, the GDRC launched a program with the following objectives:
- Strengthen its contribution to economic growth.
- Restore the country’s food security.
- Reduce poverty and insecurity in rural areas.
- Increase the production of food and durable goods.
To achieve these objectives, the program seeks to develop agricultural and rural strategies and policies that affect awareness, production, collection, storage, processing, and marketing.
Additionally, the GDRC intends to build new, and expand existing, agro-industrial projects. These projects will benefit from the participation of foreign agricultural firms with tolerance for risk, experience operating in complex or fragile environments, and with access to capital to finance their participation.
- Ministry of Agriculture: https://minagri.gouv.cd/
- One-stop shop for business creation: https://guichetunique.cd/
- DRC Chamber of Commerce: www.fec.cd
- Development Indicators Analysis Unit (CAID): https://www.caid.cd
- National Agency for Investment Promotion (ANAPI): https://investindrc.cd/fr/Agriculture
- Regulatory Authority for Public Procurement (ARMP): https://www.armp-rdc.org/index.php/en/
- USAID: https://www.usaid.gov/democratic-republic-congo