Slovakia - Country Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services
Last published date:

The recognition of skills and qualifications acquired by EU citizens in Member States, including the corresponding recognition procedures and charges are the responsibility of Member States. Similarly, recognition of skills and qualification earned in third countries is also a national responsibility.

If a person with a foreign qualification has their qualification recognized in one EU country, and then works in that country for at least three years, they can apply for professional recognition in another EU country under the same rules as an EU member state qualification holder. To prove the necessary experience to exercise a profession, a certificate issued by the Member State that first recognized one’s qualifications may be needed. This applies to both EU citizens and non-EU citizens.

The European Commission facilitates recognition procedures. For example, recognition of professional qualifications obtained in one Member State for the purposes of access and pursuit of regulated professions in another Member State is subject to Directive 2005/36. Recognition of qualifications for academic purposes in the higher education sector, including school-leaving certificates is subject to the Lisbon Recognition Convention. The ENIC-NARIC network provides advice on cross-border recognition of these qualifications.

In other cases, the receiving educational institution or employer assesses whether to recognize a qualification. Employers need to understand the level, content, and quality of a qualification in order to recognize it. The European Union’s “Your Europe” website maintains a webpage dedicated to help citizens identify regulated professions and what documents are needed for recognition in each Member State.