Jamaica - Country Commercial Guide
Customs Regulations
Last published date:

Travelers and importers will need to comply with regulations governing the importation of restricted and prohibited items. Restricted goods, such as meats and plants, require a permit, while prohibited goods, such as toy guns and firecrackers are not allowed and will be seized at the port.

Other items that require permits and/or licenses include motor vehicles, pesticides, agricultural produce, human remains, firearms and holsters, and several others. Importers and travelers are therefore being urged to contact the Jamaica Customs Agency (JCA) and the relevant agency or agencies (below), for further guidance or clarification, as it relates to importing goods/items that may require a permit.

The JCA performs border protection or agency functions on behalf of the following agencies and encourages importers to contact these entities if they require details on importing any item that falls within their purview:  

  • The Firearm Licensing Authority (FLA), Ministry of National Security
  • The Pesticides Control Authority (PCA), Ministry of Health
  • Plant Quarantine Unit, Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture & Fisheries (MICAF)
  • The Veterinary Services Division, MICAF
  • Trade Board Limited
  • Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority (JCAA)
  • The Public Health Department, Ministry of Health
  • Bureau of Standards (MICAF)
  • National Compliance and Regulatory Authority (NRCA)
  • National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
  • Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ)
  • Coconut Industry Board
  • Spectrum Management Authority (SMA)
  • Department of Cooperatives and Friendly Societies (DCFS)
  • The National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
  • Department of Cooperatives and Friendly Societies (DCFS)

Jamaica Customs

Newport East,

Kingston 15

(876) 922–5140