Includes license requirements for key professional services that are open to U.S. service providers.
The Ministry of Trade and Industry, which administers the citizen participation initiative, has taken an expansive interpretation of the term chain stores, so that it encompasses any store with more than one outlet so that they are applying the citizen participation requirements to any business with more than one store. This broad interpretation has resulted in the need to apply for exemptions for certain supermarkets, simple specialty operations, and general trading stores. These exemptions have generally been granted in the past and many large general merchandise markets, restaurants, and grocery networks are owned by foreigners as a result. However, the GoB now requires applicant companies to negotiate localization agreements as a requirement for exemptions.
- Botswana Ministry of Trade and Industry
- African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA): AGOA
- Southern Africa Trade and Investment Hub: https://www.satihub.com/
- Botswana Investment and Trade Centre
- Botswana Bureau of Standards
- Southern African Development Community
- World Trade Organization
- Botswana Unified Revenue Service
- U.S. Export Controls: https://www.trade.gov/us-export-controls