United Kingdom Internships
Important Notice: the U.S. Commercial Service in London is open to applications from prospective interns for the Fall 2022 semester. Thank you for your interest. We are not accepting application for the Spring and Summer 2022 semester.
About the Internship Program
The U.S. Commercial Service UK (CS UK) at the U.S. Embassy in London promotes exports of U.S. goods and/or services into the UK market and inward investment into the U.S. We provide a range of services and programs to help American companies export goods and services to the United Kingdom.
The U.S. Commercial Service is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration. Our office analyzes information on the UK market, facilitates contacts with UK businesses, promotes U.S. products in the UK and European marketplace, and advocates U.S. business interests. We assist trade missions to the UK and provide logistical support to U.S. companies holding product launches and exhibitions.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities
The intern’s work assignments will provide exposure to our full range of activities and services. Every attempt is made to give hands-on experience where appropriate. It must be stressed, however, that the immediate requirements of the mission program must take precedence over other considerations.
Intern assignments may include:
- Collecting and analyzing information for use in market research reports
- Responding to enquiries from U.S. companies
- Assisting our staff in the preparation of trade events and trade missions
- Assisting with our matchmaking services that help U.S. companies find partners and distributors in the UK
- Assisting with promoting and implementing the SelectUSA program, U.S. federal initiative to promote, facilitate, and encourage business investment in the United States.
- While we prefer interns with International Business, Business Administration or Marketing majors, we will consider all appropriate applicants.
Please note that interns do not receive any compensation, and no housing or other financial assistance is available.
Requirements for the Internship Program
In order to qualify for an internship, potential candidates should be:
- Are juniors, seniors, or postgraduate students during the semester of their internship
- Enrolled in an accredited American or British academic program and returning to studies immediately after the internship
- Be able to work independently or in a group
- Possess strong problem-solving, analytical and customer-facing skills
- Available to intern for a minimum of three months (maximum six months)
- Able to work part- or full-time (minimum 20 hours per week)
- In possession of a U.S. passport
- If the candidate is studying in the UK, we require a written confirmation from their UK university that the internship is part of their coursework
- All acceptances are subject to a security clearance prior to beginning work at the Embassy, which generally takes 1-3 months to complete. Please ensure to allow a sufficient amount of time to process both your application and security clearance.
Payment and Benefits
- Our internships are unpaid.
- The U.S. Commercial Service does not provide housing, commuting stipends or financial benefits of any kind.
- Selected interns must sign a Volunteer Agreement indicating their understanding that the Embassy cannot be responsible for workplace related injuries and/or medical costs. Interns are encouraged to have their own medical and liability insurance and can check with home universities about such options.
- Students should discuss receiving academic credit with their academic institution. Documentation of work or signing of forms can be provided.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, writing sample and two educational and/or professional references via email to Kishwar.Ahmad@trade.gov.
Only selected candidates for an interview will be contacted.
If you require any further information or would like to submit an application, please contact:
Internship Program Coordinator
U.S. Commercial Service
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US