Interning with the U.S. Commercial Service
The U.S. Commercial Service Romania offers mentorship/ internship opportunities throughout the year at the U.S. Embassy in Bucharest.
What you would be doing
The U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania provides students who are exploring a career in international business, marketing, diplomacy, or foreign affairs the opportunity to work in the area of international trade together with our team. You would be working alongside the Commercial Service staff helping U.S. exporters research the Romanian market, find trade partners and develop international business solutions. CS Bucharest is a busy, demand-driven office with plenty of opportunities for you to learn and to build experience into your resume.
Within this framework, we expect participants in our internship program to assist our staff with a combination of administrative and analytical duties:
- Assistance with the organization of ongoing projects such as trade missions, trade shows, publications, seminars, etc.
- Assistance with the collection of information for industry-specific market research
- A special project may be assigned to an intern, depending on the needs of this office and the abilities of the intern to complete the project
- Content management of this website
- Answering routine business inquiries and document filing
Work schedules will be negotiated. Business dress is required.
Who is eligible?
In order to participate in the CS Bucharest mentorship program, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrollment at a university or institute of higher education after the second year /sophomore year of academic studies
- Romanian or US citizenship
- English proficiency
- Availability for 3 – 6 months, at least 20h per week
- Good communication and computer skills
Selection is made without regard to consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, or disability. Every intern must receive a positive security check by the U.S. Government prior to the start of his/her internship.
Payment and Insurance
This internship is a volunteer service. Federal regulations prohibit financial compensation. An official letter of recommendation will be provided. Most universities will award 3-6 credits for a completed internship. No federal government liability is assumed.
How to apply
We offer internships throughout the entire year. There is no deadline to apply, but you need to apply at least 2 months in advance (4 months for US citizens). Your application must include:
- Current resume
- Questionnaire for applicants
Please send your application to Monica Bogodai. If you have questions about this program, please feel free to contact us.