Education Technology (EdTech), a subsector of the technology development sector, encompasses technology used in early childhood education, K-12, higher education, and workforce development. It consists of three major product categories:
- Hardware: interactive white boards, displays and tablets, student response systems, laptops, desktops, stylus pens, wireless slates, classroom wearables, wrist-worn equipment, head gear, projectors, and sound systems.
- Software: Learning Management Systems (LMS), Learning Content Management Systems (LCMS), adaptive learning platforms, and assessment systems.
- Content: audio-based content, video-based content, text content, and multimedia content.
The Global EdTech Market
The EdTech market is highly attractive in terms of its size and growth rate. According to Grand View Research, the global market in 2020 was estimated to be worth $89.49 billion (USD) and is projected to grow at compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.9% from 2021 to 2028.
Given the size of the U.S. education sector, North America is the largest market for EdTech, comprising almost 37% of the global market.
The U.S. EdTech Market
The U.S. government does not track EdTech trade. However, in 2020 the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) started tracking services trade in online education and electronic correspondence courses under “Other Personal, Cultural, and Recreational – Education Services”. Online education and electronic correspondence courses are a subsector of the EdTech Industry.
According to BEA, in 2019 (latest available data) the United States exported an estimated $2.3 billion in Education Services.
- Increased competition in higher education
- Classes being taken from massive open online courses (MOOCs)
- Adoption of mobile devices (i.e. tablets are used in 85 percent of U.S. K-12 school districts)
- Learning models that incorporate personalized and blended learning techniques
- Data privacy
- Professional development and training courses
- Student assessments
- Computer science
How Industry & Analysis Can Help
Industry & Analysis (I&A) is an advocate for the development of U.S. service industries in international trade. Within ITA, the Office of Supply Chain and Professional and Business Services (OSCPBS) promotes and supports the U.S. EdTech sector and represents the interests of the EdTech sector through the following activities:
- Identifying opportunities in overseas markets.
- Industry sector reports.
- Identifying and resolving market barriers.
- Export development assistance.
Federal and State Government Resources for EdTech Companies
- The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Educational Technology: “EdTech Developer’s Guide.”
- The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Educational Technology: “Reimagining the Role of Technology in Education.” (2020 will be released soon)
- Iowa Economic Development Authority: “The EdTech Opportunity: Educational Technology as a Dynamic Growth Sector for Iowa.”
Other EdTech Publications
- EdTech Handbook: An on-line depository of articles
- EdSurge: Online news
- Education Gadfly: A publication of the Thomas Fordham Institute
- EdWeek Digital: EdTech news and trends
- eSchool News: EdTech News for K-12 and Higher Education
- New Learning Times: produced at the EdLab at Colombia University and provides daily coverage of learning opportunities to transform education
- KQED Mindshift: Mindshift explores the future of learning
- Getting Smart: covers an array of education topics
South by Southwest Education (SXSW EDU) Conference
March 7-10, 2022
Website for SXSW EDU
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2022
June 26-29, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Website for ISTE
ASU GSV Summit
April 4-6, 2022
San Diego, CA
Website for ASU GSV Summit
EdInnovateLive Summit 2022
July 29-30, 2022
San Diego, CA
International Trade Specialist for Education Services
Global Sub-Team Leader for Education Technology
Return to the Professional and Business Services page here.
Return to the Education and Training Services page here.