Close up of arms extended in an expressive way with a laptop, phone and notebook on a nearby table and other people in the background
Intern with the U.S. Commercial Service Hong Kong
Here is how to apply for a unique and rewarding internship.

CS Hong Kong Internships

Students must be U.S. citizens pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree. Hong Kong citizens should visit the Job Announcements web page of the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau.

Internship Program Overview

The U.S. Commercial Service in Hong Kong assists U.S. companies with exporting their products and services to Hong Kong and Macau, and assists local companies in their effort to source American products or represent U.S. firms. 

Our work-study intern program provides college or university juniors, seniors and graduate students with an outstanding opportunity to gain international business experience, and learn how companies develop and implement market-entry strategies across multiple industry sectors.  Interns will also have the opportunity to learn how the Commercial Service section of the U.S. Consulate advises American firms overseas.

This program is designed to provide “hands-on” experience with client projects, market research and a wide range of trade promotion and business development activities. While our interns often work as part of teams, we encourage our interns to develop their own projects and initiatives throughout the semester. Interns will have tremendous opportunities to gain exposure to and network with U.S. and local businesses across all sectors in Hong Kong.

Who is Eligible?

In order to participate you must meet the following qualifications:

  • United States citizenship.
  • Students currently enrolled in a college/university or those who have been accepted in a school for the quarter/semester following the internship. Students must be returning to complete their education following the internship.
  • Long-term availability: minimum ten weeks, preferably 40 hours per week.
  • Excellent written and oral communication abilities and computer skills.
  • Basic Cantonese or Mandarin Communication skills desired.
  • Selection is made without regard to considerations of ethnicity, color, religion, sex, marital status, or handicap. Potential interns must receive a positive security check by the U.S. Government prior to the start of an internship.

What will I do?

Interns play an active role in assisting our office deliver a wide range of support services to our client companies. Intern duties vary, but can include:

  • Conducting market research
  • Assisting companies seeking information
  • Identifying Hong Kong and Macau agents and distributors for American companies
  • Assisting Hong Kong and Macau companies seeking information about American exporters
  • Organizing Trade Missions
  • Managing commercial events and other official functions
  • Revising the “Country Commercial Guide”
  • Updating this website
  • Administrative and logistics support

Will I be paid?

No. Federal regulations prohibit financial compensation. But upon completion of the internship, an official letter of recommendation can be provided and many universities will award academic credit for your work.

Will I have insurance?

Unfortunately, no federal government insurance can be provided and no federal government liability is assumed.

How do I apply?

If you are interested in interning with us, the following forms/information will need to be provided. Email to receive them.

1. Provide Current Resume.
2. Volunteer Service Agreement Form.
3. Fair Credit Report Release Statement.
4. OF-306 – Declaration for Federal Employment.
5. Pre-Appointment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
6. Required Information.

No intern application will be considered until we receive all of the documents. Upon receipt of the above information, the United States government may conduct background and credit checks on you.

Application deadlines

April 15 for Fall Semester (service starts in September)

August 15 for Spring Semester (service starts in January)

December 15 for Summer Term (service starts in May)

If you have any questions, please email We look forward to hearing from you!