Malta - Country Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services
Last published date:

The National Commission for Further and Higher Education (NCFHE) is the Maltese appointed body that also acts as the National Contact Point for the European Qualifications Framework.  Further information is available at:

The recognition of skills and qualifications acquired by EU citizens in EU Member States, including the corresponding recognition procedures and charges are, the responsibility of Member States.  Similarly, recognition of skills and qualification earned in third countries is also a national responsibility.

If an individual with a foreign qualification was recognized in a member state and now wants to move to another EU country and has worked for at least 3 years in the EU country that has first recognized the qualifications, that individual can apply for professional recognition in another EU country under the rules that apply to professionals that have received their qualification from an EU country.

To prove the necessary experience to exercise a profession, a certificate issued by the EU country that first recognized your qualifications may be needed.  This applies to both EU citizens and non-EU citizens.

However, the European Commission has initiatives to facilitate recognition procedures.  For example:

  • Recognition of professional qualifications obtained in one Member State for the purposes of access and pursuit of regulated professions in another Member State is subject to Directive 2005/36.
  • Recognition of qualifications for academic purposes in the higher education sector, including school-leaving certificates is subject to the Lisbon Recognition Convention. The ENIC-NARIC network provides advice on (cross-border) recognition of these qualifications.

Recognition in other cases is assessed and granted (or denied) by the receiving educational provider or employer.  An understanding of the level, content, and quality is needed for them to be able to recognise skills and qualifications.  The Commission currently explores the possibilities on how to better support these recognition decisions.

The “Your Europe” website maintains a webpage dedicated to help citizens identify what the regulated professions are and what document are needed for their recognition in each Member State.  Please see:  Recognition of Professional Qualification