Singapore Green Plan Development
Singapore develops a Blueprint for 2030 Green Plan to halve carbon emissions and achieve next-zero emissions.
As with many countries worldwide, Singapore is a signatory to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and as such will peak its carbon emissions at 65 million tonnes by around 2030, halve that amount 20 years later, and achieve next-zero emissions sometime during the second half of this century.
To achieve the targets set, Singapore has developed a blueprint for its 2030 Green Plan and this is spearheaded by five government ministries – Education, National Development, Sustainability & The Environment, Trade & Industry and Transport. The Green Plan has set targets for various industry sectors such as electric vehicles, green buildings, clean energy, petrochemical sector and even schools which will also change the way Singaporeans live, work and play. Singapore wants to be a model for the region and has been ranked ahead of all Asian countries by the World Economic Forum in its 2021 Energy Transition Index.
Even Singapore’s public sector, with hundreds of thousands of employees and 1,600 facilities, is also setting targets to help achieve the country’s push for a greener economy. For example:
• Reduce energy and water use by 10% by 2030 from the last three years’ average
• Halve the energy used to produce desalinated water and explore new technologies in reverse osmosis to improve the production of clean water
• Reduce amount of waste disposed by 30% by 2030 from 2022 amounts
• All government cars will run on cleaner energy by 2035 which is five years ahead of the national target
• Reduce schools’ net carbon emission by two-thirds by 2030
• Even military camps will increase usage of solar energy
Green financing, green procurement and green investment in Singapore and the region are being looked into by larger government-linked companies not only for themselves but also to help SMEs accelerate progress towards net zero.
For more information, please contact Mr. CHAN Yiu Kei at Yiukei.email@example.com