Norway - Country Commercial Guide
Licensing Requirements for Professional Services

Includes license requirements for key professional services that are open to U.S. service providers.

Last published date: 2022-09-12

The recognition of skills and qualifications acquired by EU citizens in the Member States, including the corresponding recognition procedures and charges are the responsibility of Member States.  Similarly, recognition of skills and qualifications earned in third countries is also a national responsibility.

If an individual with a foreign qualification was recognized in a Member State but wants to move to another Member State and has worked for at least three years in that Member State, which had recognized their qualifications, that individuals can apply for professional recognition in another Member State under the rules that apply to professionals who have received their qualification from an EU country.

To prove the necessary experience to exercise a profession, a certificate issued by the Member State that first recognizes one’s qualifications may be needed.  This applies to both EU citizens and non-EU citizens.

However, the European Commission takes the initiative to facilitate recognition procedures.  For example, recognition of professional qualifications obtained in one Member State for the purposes of access and pursuit of regulated professions in another Member State is subject to Directive 2005/36.  Recognition of qualifications for academic purposes in the higher education sector, including school-leaving certificates, is subject to the Lisbon Recognition Convention. The ENIC-NARIC network provides advice on cross-border recognition of these qualifications.

Recognition in other cases is assessed by the receiving educational provider or employer. An understanding of the level, content, and quality is needed for them to be able to recognize skills and qualifications. The Commission currently explores the possibilities on how to better support these recognition decisions.

The European Union’s “Your Europe” website maintains a webpage dedicated to helping citizens identify regulated professions and what documents are needed for their recognition in each Member State.


Contact Information:

U.S. Mission to the EU 

Flavie Guerin, 

Tel. 011 (32) 2.811.52.76 


U.S. Commercial Service - Oslo, Norway 

U.S. Embassy – Oslo, Norway

Vidar Keyn, Head of Commercial Section, 

Tel. 011 (47) 21308834 


National Institute of Standard & Technology 

Gordon Gillerman, Standards Coordination Office 

Tel. (301) 975-4000 


CEN- European Committee for Standardization 

Tel. 011 (32) 2.550.08.11 


CENELES- European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization 

Tel. 011 (32) 2.519.68.71 


ETSI- European Telecommunications Standards Institute 

Tel. 011 (33)