Discusses requirements for products entering the country/economy temporarily. Includes information on warranty and non-warranty items shipped for repairs.
THE REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSIT OF GOODS
- Declaration of Transit in the manifest
- Bill of Lading / Airway bill to read in transit to the destination.
- Customs Declaration for transit
- Application for transit
- Transit bonds
- The principal responsible for the movement of the transit goods should be clearly identified.
Documentary Process Flow of Transit
1. The agent / broker must submit a transit declaration electronically through the ASYCUDA system upon completion.
2. The application for approval to transit.
3. The declaration together with the application letter, the bond and all the relevant documents attached are submitted to customs for verification.
4. Payment of processing fee upon approval.
5. Goods are escorted from the port of entry to destination.
WHAT DOES GUARANTEE MEAN IN CUSTOMS TRANSIT?
Guarantee means an undertaking by which the surety assumes the obligation towards the customs.
WHO IS A GUARANTOR OR SURETY?
A guarantor or surety is any natural or legal person who accepts responsibility in due legal form, for the financial consequences of non-fulfillment of another’s obligation to customs.
WHAT IS A “CUSTOMS SEAL”?
Customs seal means an assembly of a seal and a fastening which are joined together in a secure manner to prevent or draw attention to any unauthorized interference with the sealed items.
DO CUSTOMS APPLY A GUARANTEE SYSTEM?
The national guarantor is The Gambia Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI)
ARE GOODS IN TRANSIT SUBJECT TO THE PAYMENT OF DUTY AND TAX?
No, provided the goods are produced intact under customs seal at the Office of Destination
DO CUSTOMS FIX A TIME LIMIT FOR EACH TRANSIT OPERATIONS?
A maximum of fifteen (15) working days.
CAN THE TIME LIMIT BE EXTENDED?
Yes, by an application to customs for extension.
DO CUSTOMS REQUIRE TRANSIT GOODS TO BE ESCORTED?
Yes, where risk is imminent.
WHAT IS THE GUARANTEED AMOUNT PER TRANSIT OPERATION?
The guaranteed amount per transit operation is the sum of duties, taxes and charges involved.