This is a best prospect industry sector for this country. Includes a market overview and trade data.
The United States remains one of the most popular long-haul destinations outside Europe for Austrian travelers, and this trend is expected to continue in 2023. Austria currently ranks 39th worldwide for overall arrivals to the United States, with a total of 55,003 Austrian visitors from January to June 2022. The majority traveled to the U.S. for pleasure with the remainder for business or educational purposes. Due to the pandemic, there was an overall decrease in travelers to the U.S. since U.S. borders were closed from March 2020 until November 8, 2021. However, an upward trend in travelers can already be observed in recent months, and the industry has been striving to meet increased demand.
Total Arrivals of Austrians to the U.S.
Source: National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO)
Most Austrian travelers to the U.S. are 18-54 years old, and around 50% are upper-middle class. Travel is most concentrated in the summer (June-September) and during the Christmas holidays. Almost 50% of all leisure travel occurs during the summer school vacation months of July and August.
As part of the Visa Waiver Program, Austrian citizens may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa by applying through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA – see Web Resources below) several weeks in advance of travel. English is widely spoken in Austria and is not generally a barrier for Austrians to travel to the United States.
Travel Industry Summary
Many Austrians prefer to book their travel at least three months in advance. Most of them choose holiday packages for lower cost, ease of planning, and travel insurance to minimize risks of travel. These packages range from short city trips for shopping and cultural events to comprehensive guided tours and outdoor adventures.
The top tour operators in Austria include TUI Austria, Österreichisches Verkehrsbüro/Ruefa, ÖAMTC Reisen, Springer and Kuoni. Tour operators and travel agencies have successfully competed with packaged air travel, hotels, and car rentals at very competitive prices. Many online booking engines with user-friendly smartphone apps or websites are also being widely used for easier price comparison and quicker completion of the booking process. The top online booking platforms used by Austrians are Booking.com, Airbnb, Trivalgo, and Checkfelix.
The VisitUSA Committee Austria, founded in 1999, is active in the country with regular promotional events and seminars nationwide. It consists of USA tourism specialists jointly aiming to promote U.S. destinations in Austria.
United Airlines/Austrian Airlines, part of Star Alliance Group, offers direct flights between Vienna and the United States. Austrian Airlines fly year-round to Chicago (ORD), New York (EWR), New York City (JFK), Washington (IAD), and Los Angeles (LAX). Around 49% of Austrian travelers book their flights on Austrian Airlines. Many additional airlines, such as British Airways/American Airlines, offer flights to the U.S. with transits through neighboring European cities en route to the United States.
On June 10, 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) rescinded the order requiring travelers to present a negative Covid test result or show documentation of recovery from Covid-19 prior to boarding a flight to the United States. For information on air traveler requirements, see https://at.usembassy.gov/requirements-for-air-travelers-to-the-united-states/.
The most popular U.S. destinations for Austrian tourists are New York, Florida, California, Nevada, Massachusetts, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Texas, and the national parks located throughout the country. Many leisure travelers visit recreational places such as Disney World, Universal Studios, and Sea World theme parks. Austrians also enjoy city sightseeing, visiting cultural and historical places, and combining tours with outdoor activities such as water sports and golfing. Travel industry representatives see increased interest in adventure travel to Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. In addition, repeat travelers are increasingly choosing to visit new destinations such as New England, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, the Great Lakes, and Hawaii.
- Package tours through agencies and online platforms that include airfare, accommodation, and car rental are among the most popular bookings. Road trips within the U.S. are also in demand, allowing travelers to experience the diversity of the United States with more travel flexibility and avoiding airport crowds.
- Shopping remains one of the top leisure activities for Austrian travelers in the U.S. The most popular shopping destinations for Austrian travelers are New York City, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Seattle, Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles.
- According to Statista’s Travel and Tourism in Austria report, Austrian travelers’ top attitudes towards traveling in 2022 are: (1) Being in nature, (2) Using the smartphone as a guide while on travel, (3) Having a unique travel experience. For Austrian travelers, the quality of the travel is more important than the associated expenses.
- The travel technology industry in Austria is evolving quicker than ever. It is becoming more traveler-centric, and traveler expectations are continuously growing. This increasingly complex landscape calls for powerful and modern travel technology frameworks. This is especially vital in the era of Covid-19, with customer expectations shifting.
Ferienmesse Wien, Vienna, March 16– 19, 2023
Ferien-Messe is an annual international event for holidays, travel, and leisure. This trade fair targets the public and offers diverse infotainment with more than 800 exhibitors from over 70 countries. In addition, Ferien-Messe presents popular holiday destinations, best-kept secrets, recommended means of traveling, and a wide range of leisure activities.
- Statistik Austria - Tourism
- National Travel and Tourism Office NTTO
- Visit USA Committee
- Electronic System for Travel Authorization ESTA
- Austrian Embassy
Current Travel Information — Austria
Austria Travel Advisory (state.gov)
- Austrian Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Regions and Water Management (incl. Tourism)
U.S. Commercial Service Austria – Robee Sallegue firstname.lastname@example.org