BuyUSA United Kingdom Internships
Important Notice: the U.S. Commercial Service in London is collecting applications from prospective interns for 2022 spring, summer and fall semesters. Thank you for your interest.
About the Internship Program
The U.S. Commercial Service UK (CS UK) at the U.S. Embassy in London promotes exports of U.S. goods and/or services into the UK market and inward investment into the U.S. We provide a range of services and programs to help American companies export goods and services to the United Kingdom.
The U.S. Commercial Service is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration. Our office analyzes information on the UK market, facilitates contacts with UK businesses, promotes U.S. products in the UK and European marketplace, and advocates U.S. business interests. We assist trade missions to the UK and provide logistical support to U.S. companies holding product launches and exhibitions.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities
The intern’s work assignments will provide exposure to our full range of activities and services. Every attempt is made to give hands-on experience where appropriate. It must be stressed, however, that the immediate requirements of the mission program must take precedence over other considerations.
Intern assignments may include:
- Collecting and analyzing information for use in market research reports
- Responding to enquiries from U.S. companies
- Assisting our staff in the preparation of trade events and trade missions
- Assisting with our matchmaking services that help U.S. companies find partners and distributors in the UK
- Assisting with promoting and implementing the SelectUSA program, U.S. federal initiative to promote, facilitate, and encourage business investment in the United States.
- While we prefer interns with International Business, Business Administration or Marketing majors, we will consider all appropriate applicants.
Please note that interns do not receive any compensation. This is an unpaid internship. No housing or other financial assistance is available.
Requirements for the Internship Program
In order to qualify for an internship, potential candidates should be:
- Juniors, Seniors, or Postgraduate students during the semester of their internship
- Available for a minimum of three months (maximum six months)
- Able to work part- or full-time (minimum 20 hours per week)
- Enrolled in an accredited American or British academic program and returning to studies immediately after the internship
- In possession of a U.S. passport or a British passport (host country national)
- If the candidate is studying in the UK (whether a U.S. or British national), we require a written confirmation from their UK university that the internship is part of their coursework
- All acceptances are subject to a security clearance prior to beginning work at the Embassy, which generally takes 3 months to complete. Please ensure to allow a sufficient amount of time to process both your application and security clearance.
We will publish the application procedure when it becomes available. In the meantime, you can contact the Internship Program Coordinator Alek.Trazoff@trade.gov for more information.
If you require any further information or would like to submit an application, please contact:
Internship Program Coordinator
U.S. Commercial Service
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US