Advocacy Liaisons at Multilateral Development Banks
Doing Business with Multilateral Development Banks
Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) are organizations comprised of donor and borrowing member countries that provide financing and advice for the purpose of economic advancement in developing countries. These Banks finance development projects worth billions of dollars throughout the world.
Doing business with any of the MDBs depends on a company’s ability to do business in the country where the project will be implemented, and with the borrowing government that runs the procurement process. Knowledge of the local language, culture, business practices, legal system, and other local conditions is essential.
How Advocacy MDB Liaisons Support U.S. Companies
The Advocacy Center has MDB Liaison Officers at each of the five MDBs to assist U.S. companies on how to work with these banks, advocate on procurement and contracting issues to ensure fair and equal treatment, and increase the proportion of MDB projects won by U.S. firms. Services include:
- Counseling on how to approach the MDB and borrowing governments.
- Meeting with MDB project managers to provide U.S. firms with updates on specific projects.
- Identifying upcoming projects that present a good opportunity for U.S. firms.
- Identifying funded projects with business opportunities for U.S. companies.
- Informing U.S. firms of relevant Invitations to Bid (specific procurement notices).
- Advocating that project bids from U.S. companies receive fair and equal consideration as foreign countries’ project bids.
- Keeping U.S. firms informed of MDB procured contracts, including policy studies (on subjects such as gender, the environment, etc.) and goods/services directly procured by the MDB.
Multilateral Development Banks: Locations and Liaison Contacts
World Bank | Washington, D.C., USA
- Cameron Dorsey | Commercial Advisor, Office of the U.S. Executive Director at the World Bank | email@example.com
- Barbara White | International Trade Specialist | 202-623-3822 | Barbara.White@trade.gov
Office Phone: 202-458-0120
Inter-American Development Bank | Washington, D.C., USA
- Belen Gallegos | Commercial Liaison, Office of the U.S. Executive Director at the IDB | 202-623-3821 | firstname.lastname@example.org or Belen.Gallegos@trade.gov
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development | London, United Kingdom
Janelle Santerre Weyek | Senior Commercial Officer and Commercial Representative to the EBRD, U.S. Embassy in London | Janelle.Weyek@trade.gov or Weyeki@ebrd.com
Office Phone: 44-20-7338-7493 |
Asian Development Bank, Manila, Philippines
- Mark OGrady | Senior Commercial Officer and Commercial Representative to the ADB, U.S. Embassy in Manila | email@example.com
- Michael Mia | Commercial Specialist | Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 63-2-516-5093 and 63-2-301-2000 ; Office Fax: 63-2-516-6958
African Development Bank | Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Julie LeBlanc | Senior Commercial Officer and Commercial Representative to the AfDB, U.S. Embassy in Abidjan | Julie.LeBlanc@trade.gov
- Elvire Kodio | Commercial Specialist | Elvire.Kodio@trade.gov
Office Phone: 225-22-49-43-57; (From the USA: 301-985-8627 ext. 4357)