Advocacy Liaisons at Multilateral Development Banks
Doing Business with Multilateral Development Banks
Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) are organizations comprised of donor and borrowing member countries that provide financing and advice for the purpose of economic advancement in developing countries. These Banks finance development projects worth billions of dollars throughout the world.
Doing business with any of the MDBs depends on a company’s ability to do business in the country where the project will be implemented, and with the borrowing government that runs the procurement process. Knowledge of the local language, culture, business practices, legal system, and other local conditions is essential.
How Advocacy MDB Liaisons Support U.S. Companies
The Advocacy Center has MDB Liaison Officers at each of the five MDBs to assist U.S. companies on how to work with these banks, advocate on procurement and contracting issues to ensure fair and equal treatment, and increase the proportion of MDB projects won by U.S. firms. Services include:
- Counseling on how to approach the MDB and borrowing governments.
- Meeting with MDB project managers to provide U.S. firms with updates on specific projects.
- Identifying upcoming projects that present a good opportunity for U.S. firms.
- Identifying funded projects with business opportunities for U.S. companies.
- Informing U.S. firms of relevant Invitations to Bid (specific procurement notices).
- Advocating that project bids from U.S. companies receive fair and equal consideration as foreign countries’ project bids.
- Keeping U.S. firms informed of MDB procured contracts, including policy studies (on subjects such as gender, the environment, etc.) and goods/services directly procured by the MDB.
Multilateral Development Banks: Locations and Liaison Contacts
World Bank | Washington, D.C., USA
- Danica Starks
Office of the U.S. Executive Director
Head of Department of Commerce MDB Group
- Barbara White
International Trade Specialist
(202) 458-0120 Office
- See also: Advocacy Liaison Website for World Bank and World Bank
Inter-American Development Bank | Washington, D.C., USA
- Belen Gallegos
Office of the U.S. Executive Director at the IDB
Email at IDB
- See also: Advocacy Liaison Website for Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and Inter-American Development Bank
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development | London, United Kingdom
- Janelle Santerre Weyek
Senior Commercial Officer and Commercial Representative to the EBRD
U.S. Embassy in London
Email at EBRD
- See also: Advocacy Liaison Website for European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Asian Development Bank | Manila, Philippines
- Mark OGrady
Senior Commercial Officer and Commercial Representative to the ADB
U.S. Embassy in Manila
- Michael Mia
63-2-516-5093 and 63-2-301-2000
- See also: Advocacy Liaison Website Asian Development Bank and Asian Development Bank