U.S. Motor Vehicle Export Documentation

The documentation necessary is the U.S. Customs Shipper’s Export Declaration, which any freight forwarder can supply and help complete. The shipper must also provide to the Customs officer proof that the shipper has lawful ownership of the vehicle. This can take several forms: (1) an original (or certified copy) and two copies of a “Certificate of Title” issued by a state government (e.g., California Department of Motor Vehicles) which cites the Vehicle Identification Number; or (2) a certified original and two copies of a bill of sale or sales invoice which cites the Vehicle Identification Number.

The typical light truck or passenger car can be exported under the general export license procedure, which requires no separate application. However, if the vehicle has a military purpose the shipper must apply to U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), [formerly the Bureau of Export Administration] for a special license.

The ITA District Office nearest the U.S. port of export can provide assistance, or the shipper can contact BIS’s Export Counseling Division, 202-482-4811, Fax 202-482-3617 on the East Coast, or 714-660- 0144, Fax 714-660-9347 on the West Coast. Help is also available via BIS’s Export Control Basics internet home page

Also check out U.S. Customs and Border Protection trade site

When exporting, particularly for the first time, it is often helpful to consult with a customs broker/freight forwarder. While the United States Government can not recommend any private sector firm a list of these firms can be found at the website of the National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Assn of America

The Environmental Protection Agency has developed a one-stop Web portal to help importers and exporters of goods meet requirements to protect human health and the environment. The EPA’s new Web portal is available at: https://www.epa.gov/importing-exporting