Unknown Guy Using Smartphone with Container Cargo for Logistic Import exportimage
How Do I Determine my ECC Number?
An ECCN categorizes items based on the nature of the product, i.e. type of commodity, software, or technology and its respective technical parameters.  

How Do I Determine My Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) 

  • The key in determining whether an export license is needed from the Department of Commerce is finding out if the item you intend to export has a specific Export Control Classification Number (ECCN). ECCNs are five character alpha-numeric designations used on the Commerce Control List (CCL) to identify dual-use items for export control purposes. 
  • First suggestion is to search the Commerce Control List (CCL) for any and all terms that may describe the details of what the product(s) is.  Don’t just search with a general term or two and assume the commodity is not on the list. This may take a bit of review as it’s much better to be thorough.
  • This link shows CCL chapters which can be downloaded alphabetically. 
  • If the product(s) has an ECCN, review the reason for control in the full EAR (the ECCN number will begin with the corresponding EAR chapter), and then check the country chart to see if the product is controlled to the market for the specific reason noted in the EAR. The country chart can be found in Part 738 within this webpage of the full EAR chapters. 
  • If your item falls under the jurisdiction of the BIS and is not listed on the CCL, it is designated as EAR99. The majority of commercial products are designated EAR99 and generally will not require a license to be exported or reexported. However, if you plan to export an EAR99 item to an embargoed or sanctioned country, to a party of concern, or in support of a prohibited end-use, you may be required to obtain a license. 
  • If you are unable to determine if your product(s) is controlled, you may need to submit a written request to have BIS provide a determination. This can be done through the SNAP-R platform

Other Considerations:

  • One last item regardless of where, what or who you are shipping product to, you will need to be sure the company/ individual(s) you sell to is not on any denied parties lists as this would stop the transaction regardless if an export license was required or not. You can review these below. 
  • Certain individuals and organizations are prohibited from receiving U.S. exports and others may only receive goods if they have been licensed, even items that do not normally require a license based on the ECCN and Commerce Country Chart or based on an EAR99 designation. You must be aware of the lists. 

To speak with an export counselor, you may call one of the following numbers: 

  • (202) 482-4811 - Outreach and Educational Services Division (located in Washington, DC) 
  • (949) 660-0144 - Western Regional Office (located in Irvine, CA) 
  • (408) 998-8806 - Northern California branch (located in San Jose, CA) 

or e-mail your inquiry to the Export Counseling Division of the Office of Exporter Services at: ECDOEXS@bis.doc.gov