CBTPA Trade Preference
TRADE PREFERENCE PROGRAMS
The Caribbean Basin Trade Partnership Act (CBTPA)
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Richard Stetson or Laurie Mease at the U.S. Department of Commerce
Office of Textiles and Apparel at 202-482-5078 or by e-mail.
The trade programs known collectively as the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) are a vital element in U.S. economic relations with the Central American and the Caribbean countries. The CBI was developed to facilitate the economic development and export diversification of the Caribbean Basin economies. Launched in 1983, the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act (CBERA) was substantially expanded in 2000 through the U.S.-Caribbean Basin Trade Partnership Act (CBTPA). CBTPA entered into force on October 1, 2000 and continues in effect until September 30, 2030.
There are currently seventeen countries that benefit from the CBI program and, therefore, may potentially benefit from CBTPA through duty-free access to the U.S. market for most goods. These countries are: Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago.
For More Information
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative-Caribbean Basin Initiative website
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) - Caribbean Basin website
- What Every Member of the Trade Community Should Know About: The U.S.-Caribbean Basin Trade Partnership Act (CBP)
- Textile Preference Programs AGOA, CBTPA, ATPDEA (CBP training presentation)
Legislative History and Text
- Presidential Proclamation 7351, October 4, 2000 - To Implement the U.S.-CBTPA
- U.S.-CBTPA and Caribbean Basin Initiative - Interim Regulations, October 5, 2000
- The Trade Act of 2000, Title II - Trade Benefits for the Caribbean Basin
- Presidential Delegation of Authority (Executive Order 13191, January 22, 2001) to Implement the U.S.-CBTPA
- The Trade Act of 2002, Section 3107 - Trade Benefits Under the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act
- Trade Benefits Under the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act - Interim Regulations, 2003
- Extension of CBTPA, under HR 5160 (Haiti HELP)