Office of Consumer Goods
Other industries we work with include home appliances, home furnishings, gems and jewelry, lawn and garden equipment, sporting goods, toys and games, safety and security equipment, and miscellaneous manufacturing. OCG undertakes industry analysis, participates in trade policy development and trade negotiations, conducts extensive trade promotion programs abroad, and evaluates the impact of domestic and international regulatory policies on the U.S. consumer goods industries.
OCG works with other Department of Commerce units and other U.S. agencies to address international market access challenges encountered by U.S. exporters. A key to the successful efforts of OCG and other I&A offices is our strong working relationships with industry trade associations and individual companies within the building products, chemicals, and metals industries. Please contact us regarding any competitiveness issues your company or trade association may have.
What We Do
- Serve as ITA lead for two public-private export expansion partnerships under the Department’s Market Development Cooperator Program.
- Serve as ITA lead for an Industry Trade Advisory Committee, to ensure U.S. industry’s voice is included in trade policy development for a wide variety of consumer goods industries.
- Serve as ITA lead for U.S. government-led wine regulatory project in the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC).
- Serve as ITA lead for U.S. government-led food safety project under the Food Safety Cooperation Forum of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC).
- Represent ITA in numerous U.S. government interagency working groups geared to advancing the competitiveness of OCG industries.
- Work closely with ITA’s Commercial Service staff on Trade Events Partnership Program events, attracting foreign buyers to leading U.S. consumer goods trade shows.
- Develop and recommend U.S. policy positions for multilateral and bilateral discussions related to the U.S. consumer goods industries.
- Provide information, trade data, and industry analysis to the U.S. business community, policymakers, and trade negotiators.
- Provide export assistance, including advocacy and business counseling, to help U.S. consumer goods exporters penetrate new international markets, increase export market share, and resolve specific market access and development challenges.