Export.gov logo and link to Export.gov Office of Aerospace and Automotive Industries' Automotive Team

Manufacturing and Services
International Trade Administration

Domestic Industry
Industry Links
Industry Data
Quick Facts

Automotive Team Staff

Automotive Team FAQ's
   red buttonExporting Vehicles

Industry Trade Advisory Committee (ITAC 2)
red buttonHow To Become a Member


Manufacturing Home Page

U.S. Department of Commerce Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions:


Links to web sites outside the U.S. Federal Government or the use of trade, firm, or corporation names within the International Trade Administration web sites are for the convenience of the user. Such use does not constitute an official endorsement or approval by the U.S. Commerce Department of any private sector website, product, or service.


Question: How many cars and/or trucks were sold during a specific time period?
Answer: The U.S. Government does not collect these data. We use the data published by Ward's Automotive Reports, Southfield, Michigan. Ward's publications can be found at most major libraries. Ward's phone number is 810.357.0800

Question: What do I need to do to import a car?
Answer: (1) The National Highway Traffic Administration's home page provides an excellent discription of what you need to do. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration;  (2) The emissions requiremments for used car imports can be found on the Environmental Protection Agency website.

Question: How do I go about exporting vehicles to a particular country>
Answer: The import requirements for most countries can be found elswhere on this Home Page. The same information can be found at any regional office of the Department of Commerce on the National Trade Data Base (NTB). It is also available on-line via USA-Stat. The NTDB also contains country specific information about economic indicators and demographics. Also check out U.S. Customs Service

Question: What was the seasonally adjusted annual selling-rate (SAAR) for the period ....?
Answer: The SAAR is compiled by the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Economic Analysis. Call Everett Johnson, 202.606.9725.

Question: How do I find Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) number for exporting motor vehicles?
Answer: Check the Census Bureau Web Site

Question: I'm having a safety related problem with my car, with whom should I talk to in the government?
Answer: Contact the Department of Transportation's Auto Safety Hotline at 800.424.9393

Question: How can I find out if my car has been subject to a safety recall?
Answer: Contact the Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's car problem page.

Return to Top of Document

This page was last updated by OAAI on 1 February 2006 .   If you have questions or comments about this site please click here.

International Trade Administration's Endorsement Disclaimer Policy: trade.gov/endorse.html

Contact Us    About ITA    ITA Site Map   Privacy Statement   Disclaimer Policy
U.S.Department of Commerce    International Trade Administration   USA.gov