Please Note: Due to Covid-19 pandemic, our internship program has been paused. Program will resume once we get guidelines on operations and travel to overseas posts.
Internship at the U.S. Commercial Service Office at the U.S. Embassy Zagreb, Croatia
The U.S. Commercial Service Zagreb is accepting applications from American and Croatian students seeking experience in promoting trade and investment between the United States and Croatia.
What We Do
We promote U.S. exports to Croatia, protect U.S. business interests in Croatia, and promote Croatian investments in the United States. Our key daily routine is working with companies – one-by-one, large and small, U.S. and Croatian – supporting their business endeavors with tailor-made information, introductions, and interventions. We operate much like private sector business consultants, lobbyists, and event managers. For most of our services, clients pay cost-recovery fees based on staff hours and direct costs. The client satisfaction rates and their actual sales and investments we facilitate are our key performance indicators.
What Our Interns Do
Interns are given assignments that will provide exposure to a full range of our activities and services, and every attempt is made to give meaningful and hands-on experience where appropriate. Assignments may include the following:
• Collecting and analyzing information for market research reports
• Responding to enquiries from U.S. and Croatian companies
• Assisting in the preparation of trade events and trade missions and in providing other U.S. Commercial Service fee-based services
• Prepare marketing packages for upcoming trade shows in the United States to help attract Croatian buyers
To Qualify, You Must Be:
• An American or Croatian citizen currently enrolled in an accredited American or Croatian college or university
• Able to retain a student status for at least six months after the internship ends
• Available to work a minimum of three months or a total of 500 hours, at least four full days per week
Our interns should be curious about the business world and eager to learn. They must be able to assert themselves and not be afraid to ask questions. It is key that our interns have strong communication skills and good comprehension of English. Attention to detail and discretion are also important, as we deal with a wide variety of companies and sometimes delicate business situations. We prefer senior (3rd or 4th year) or postgraduate students.
Interns do not receive any compensation and no housing assistance is available. Before applying, please check with us if there is a vacant internship position available for the period you want to work. If so, we will ask you to send us your resume with a cover letter, as well as two letters of recommendation. For more information, please contact:
Budget Analyst/Commercial Assistant
U.S. Commercial Service
Embassy of the United States of America
Thomasa Jeffersona 2
10010 Zagreb, Croatia