For Immediate Release: April 6, 2011
Contact: Cory Churches (202) 482-3809
Commerce Official Leading First Franchising Trade Mission to India
Fifteen Companies to Attend with Stops in Mumbai, Hyderabad and New Delhi
WASHINGTON –Nicole Y. Lamb-Hale, assistant secretary for manufacturing and services for the International Trade Administration, will lead the first franchising trade mission to India, April 10-15. The mission will provide 15 participating companies the opportunity to meet and interact with prospective Indian partners during stops in Mumbai, Hyderabad, and New Delhi.
“Franchising represents a unique opportunity for U.S. and Indian companies,” said Lamb-Hale. “Many of the companies participating in this mission are strong, globally recognized brands and are well sought-after in many markets.”
The Indian market is witnessing an unprecedented boom in consumption. Currently, the franchise market in India is estimated to be worth $3.3 billion, it is growing at a rapid rate of approximately 30 percent, and is expected to reach $20 billion by 2020. More than 700 franchise systems are already operating in country, and nearly 10 percent are led by international companies.
India is our 12th largest trading partner and total trade increased by 30 percent to $48.7 billion in 2010. U.S. exports to India last year were $19.2 billion, an increase of 17 percent from the previous year.
The following companies will be participating in the franchise trade mission to India:
1. Applebee’s International, Inc. Lenexa, Kan.
2. BannaStrow’s Crepes and Coffee, Miami, Fla.
3. CKR Restaurants – Carl’s JR., Carpinteria, Calif.
4. Denny’s Restaurant, Spartanburg, S.C.
5. FOCUS Brands, Inc. (Carvel Ice Cream, Moe's Southwest Grill, Schlotzsky’s Delhi), Atlanta, Ga.
6. Johnny Rockets, Aliso Viejo, Calif.
7. Molly Maid, Inc., Ann Arbor, Mich.
8. One and Four LLC – Crime and Punishment Museum and Titanic, Knoxville,Tenn.
9. Pollo Tropical, Miami, Fla.
10. United Franchise Group, West Palm Beach, Fla.
11. Wendy’s Arby’s International, Atlanta, Ga.
12. Rita’s Italian Ice, Trevose, Penn.
13. Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, Dallas, Tex.
14. Wing Zone International, Atlanta, Ga.
15. RadioShack Corporation, Fort Worth, Tex.
This trade mission advances President Obama’s National Export Initiative which aims to double U.S. exports by 2015, supporting economic and job growth. For additional information, please visit www.trade.gov/trade-missions.
International Trade Administration
The International Trade Administration (ITA) is the premier resource for American companies competing in the global marketplace. ITA has 2,100 employees assisting U.S. exporters in more than 100 U.S. cities and 77 countries worldwide. For more information on ITA visit www.trade.gov.
The International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, manages this global trade site to provide access to ITA information on promoting trade and investment, strengthening the competitiveness of U.S. industry, and ensuring fair trade and compliance with trade laws and agreements. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein. This site contains PDF documents. A PDF reader is available from Adobe Systems Incorporated.