Frequently Asked Questions:

Question: How many cars and/or trucks were sold during a specific time period?

Answer: The U.S. Government does not collect these data. We use the data published by Ward's Automotive Reports, Southfield, Michigan. Ward's publications can be found at most major libraries. Ward's website is

Question: What do I need to do to import a car?

Answer: (1) The National Highway Traffic Administration's home page provides an excellent description of what you need to do. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; (2) The emissions requirements for used car imports can be found on the Environmental Protection Agency website.

Question: How do I go about exporting vehicles to a particular country?

Answer: The import requirements for most countries can be found elsewhere on this Home Page. The same information can be found at any regional office of the Department of Commerce on the National Trade Data Base (NTB). It is also available on-line via USA-Stat. The NTDB also contains country specific information about economic indicators and demographics. Also check out U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service

Question: What was the seasonally adjusted annual selling-rate (SAAR) for the period ....?

Answer: The SAAR is compiled by the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Economic Analysis

Question: How do I find Schedule B Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) number for exporting motor vehicles?

Answer: Use Schedule B codes found on the Census Bureau Web Site

Question: I'm having a safety related problem with my car, with whom should I talk to in the government?

Answer: Contact the Department of Transportation's Auto Safety Hotline at 800.424.9393

Question: How can I find out if my car has been subject to a safety recall?

Answer: Contact the Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's car problem page.

Last Updated: 4/19/12 2:05 PM

  Notice to Visitors!

  The link you have chosen will take you to a non-U.S. Government website.

  If the page does not appear in 5 seconds, please click this: outside web site is managed by the International Trade Administration and external links are covered by its website  disclaimer statement.